There are a number of factors that you need to consider when buying a gravestone, particularly if it is your first time. You can purchase it from a funeral home, cemetery or monument retailer.
As the local monument company are aware about the rules and policies regarding headstone specification laid down by the various cemeteries in your area, it is a good idea to try them if you are not impressed by the headstones or grave markers offered by your funeral home and cemetery. After all, it is not necessary to buy from them.
If you are not satisfied by the headstone designs and or services available at the local monument company then you can buy the stone online through a reputed internet monument dealer.
Tips for purchasing gravestones
- Check cemetery regulations about the gravestone size, dimension, and the
type of headstones they allow. For example, some cemeteries only allow granite and bronze headstones.
In addition, you also need to find out whether the cemetery offers installation services or do you need to hire a local monument installer for this task.
- Decide the material, design, and inscription that you want on the marker. You can go through various samples and choose the shape, style, and design of the gravestone you want, depending upon the nature and interests
of the deceased.
Furthermore, you can personalize the tombstone by getting a meaningful symbol etched on it. Besides, you can buy a pre-need monument for yourself.
To get more information on how to buy a memorial or monument read this from Monument Builders of North America (MBNA). Plus, you can get help from the American Institute Of Commemorative Art.
- In terms of material, people mostly choose bronze and granite headstones nowadays because they are durable, attractive, and easy to maintain.
Marble and limestone tombstones, too, look aesthetic but the engravings on these stones tends to fade over a period of time to acid rain and other environmental factors.
- Compare prices of the headstones you have selected; it helps save money as you can purchase the stone from the dealer offering a genuine product at the lowest price.
- When buying a gravestone or tombstone online, get a computer rendering for the product you choose to check the design before finalizing it.
Along with the gravestone or tombstone, you can purchase accessories such as flower pot holders, vases, ceramic photos, statues, wreath holders, flag holders, memorial lights, etc.
You can buy gravestones and accessories online from stores such as Buy Memorials.com, Memorials.com, Worldwidestones.com , and other stores that sell memorial products and markers online.
When purchasing a headstone online, you can buy as per your convenience and avoid impulsive buying. In addition, it helps save money and you do not have to deal with annoying salespersons.
On the downside, you need to be careful while placing the order and check the credibility of the retailer. You can check with the Better Business Bureaus (BBB) to find out if any complaints or reports have been lodged against the company.
Customer service is another important criterion that you cannot afford to ignore. When you place the order, check the price (there should be no hidden costs) and delivery time frame.